NAMS is charged with ushering in the next generation of membrane scientists. As such, we have a duty to support educational initiatives that introduce membranes into the science curriculum at our colleges and universities. NAMS will support innovators in membrane education through this fellowship program.
Number of awards:
up to 1 per year
The PI will typically be a professor of any rank (assistant, associate, or full) or type (tenure track, non-tenure track, or adjunct) at any college or university located in North America. If a non-professor applies, they must have a clear outlet for educational initiatives. If you are uncertain of your eligibility, please contact the NAMS Awards Committee.
2020 Award Schedule:
- Request for Nominations Released: 11/22/2020
- Deadline: 3/01/2021
- Winner announced: TBD
- Description of how you would use the fellowship to promote membrane science education. A brief budget and justification may be included (3 pages max, single space, 12 pt. font)
- History of educational innovation or mentorship initiatives (especially those that involve membrane science). (1 page max, single space, 12 pt. font)
- CV (2 pages max, 12 pt. font)
- Letter(s) of support focused on nominee’s educational credentials. Up to two letters can be provided. At least one letter must be provided from a current NAMS member (with a second optional, but recommended, letter coming from either a NAMS member or nonmember).
- All documents must be submitted to email@example.com as a single pdf file inclusive of letters.
The recipient will be recognized as a NAMS Education Innovation Fellow for 2 years. A single $7,500 gift will be provided to the PI’s university under the PI’s name (awarded PI’s not affiliated with a university will be handled on a case-by-case basis). Funds may be used to support development of educational tools and concepts that may include, but are not limited to, videos, software, hardware, experiential learning, and outreach activities that further the educational mission of NAMS.
No overhead is permitted (as is typical with gifts) outside of typical management fees. Winners will be recognized at the NAMS banquet with a plaque. NAMS will invite the PI to present their work as an invited poster or oral presentation at the conference the year following the award. If the PI accepts the invitation, the conference registration fee will be waived and travel costs (up to $1000) will be covered by NAMS. Please note that proposals supporting research will be considered nonresponsive and will not be reviewed. Professors from primarily undergraduate institutions, community colleges, and liberal arts colleges are encouraged to apply.
- How will the money be used to support the advancement of membrane-based education (60%)
- Previous educational innovations (membrane-related not required, but a plus) (20%)
- Previous contributions to the membrane community’s student education and mentorship (mentorship, programing, teaching, etc.) (20%)
For questions, please contact Caleb Funk at firstname.lastname@example.org